The story opens with a gumshoe plot straight out of the pages of Raymond Chandler, involving a disillusioned antihero with a past; a duplicitous millionaire and his sultry wife; a locked room-style murder; and a cast of supporting suspects with their own complex criminal agendas.
Like "Westworld" and other twisty-turny flashback-driven shows, untangling the various crimes and conspiracies requires a bulletin board covered in Post-its, but don't worry if you lose track of the finer details.
The neon-drenched cityscapes look a lot like those in "Blade Runner", but "Altered Carbon" finds its own identity with atmospheric VR sequences, novel future-flavoured fight scenes, and heavenly towers floating in distinctly uncyberpunk blue skies.
The jokes are generally of the grunted sarcasm variety, and in a world where human flesh is disposable, the noir genre's trademark sadism gets turned up to 11.
Netflix The most entertaining support comes from Chris Conner as a gothic-inspired AI, and Matt Frewer as a grinning synth, but most of the cast sticks to sultry growling.
- Altered Carbon: EW debates the trippy new Netflix seriesEW.com (blog)
- The Altered Carbon cast would like to take over Donald Trump's bodySyfy Wire
- Watch Netflix Stars Tell Us What They're Currently Binge-WatchingCinema Blend
- What Exactly Is An Envoy In Altered CarbonRefinery29
- Netflix's 'Altered Carbon' may be too long and complicated, but it's good to ...Los Angeles Times
- 'Altered Carbon': Understanding the World of Netflix's Ambitious Sci-Fi DramaHollywood Reporter
- Altered Carbon Review: Netflix Spins Up A New Cyberpunk MasterpieceGameSpot
- Cyberpunk series feeds on 'Altered' statesHouston Chronicle
- Original Content podcast: 'Altered Carbon' is a murder mystery in a body ...TechCrunch