On Monday, he flipped Harris, Bradley and center Boban Marjanovic, along with a protected 2018 first-round pick and a 2019 second-rounder, to the Los Angeles Clippers in exchange for Blake Griffin and reserve big men Willie Reed and Brice Johnson.
The Pistons are now on the hook for $141.7 million through 2022 for a player who hasn’t played 70 games since 2014, who comes bearing a bracing history of left knee issues, and who by himself doesn’t necessarily guarantee anything more than your team being pretty good.
SVG (still yet to win a playoff game in Detroit, by the way) gambled that a high-scoring, playmaking four capable of initiating offense out of the post and the pick-and-roll — and one with plenty of experience making the most out of a partnership with a paint-bound finisher — was just what the doctor ordered.
While Griffin will slide into Harris’ spot in the lineup once everyone clears physicals — which, we remind you, isn’t always a sure thing when you’re dealing with players who’ve got injury histories — Van Gundy will have some other decisions to make as he reimagines his starting five.
But if he shows up ready to work and eager to shoulder the load, he could be the defining star that the attention-and-attendance-starved Pistons have long lacked, pairing with Drummond to give Detroit a couple of cornerstones for a rise up the Eastern ranks for years to come.
- Lights Dim on Lob City as Clippers Acknowledge Harsh RealitySports Illustrated
- Pistons acquire Blake Griffin from Clippers in blockbuster dealBoston Herald
- Stan Van Gundy foreshadowed Blake Griffin trade, which is a shot in the darkCBSSports.com
- The good, the bad, the ugly, and the desperate in the Blake Griffin tradeYahoo Sports
- What the Blake Griffin trade means for the Clippers, Pistons and the rest of ...Chicago Tribune
- Detroit Pistons acquire Blake Griffin, Willie Reed, Brice Johnson from LA ClippersNBA.com
- This Blake Griffin trade might be a trap for 'super-mediocrity'ESPN
- For all of Blake Griffin's loyalty to Clippers, he got a one-way ticket to DetroitYahoo Sports
- The Abrupt, Cold End to the Blake Griffin EraSports Illustrated