This afternoon’s announcement that the Cleveland Indians , at the behest of Major League Baseball, will cease wearing Chief Wahoo on their uniforms and displaying him in the ballpark was certainly welcome news.
We have long railed against one of Major League Baseball’s 30 clubs being represented by an unequivocally racist logo, and we are certainly happy to see Chief Wahoo being shown the door.
Having spoken to various MLB folks about Wahoo over the years, I have no doubt that people at the league office hate the logo and wish it had been eliminated long ago.
Their team revenue and season ticket sales are soaring , at least for them, and, after years near the bottom of MLB’s ranks in those categories, they’ve entered the middle-of-the pack.
Well, when the tide is rising and things are going well, that fear is diminished — winning trumps everything — so now was the best time to strike, even if club officials were just as convinced of Wahoo’s ugliness three years ago as they are today.
- A's acquire much-needed bullpen help and an old friend in trade with RoyalsThe Mercury News
- Indians to stop using the Chief Wahoo logo on uniforms in 2019HardballTalk (blog)
- Royals trade Brandon Moss & Ryan Buchter to OaklandKSNT News
- Brandon Moss traded by Royals to Oakland A'sKCTV Kansas City
- Brandon Moss, Ryan Buchter Traded to A's; Royals Receive Jesse Hahn, MoreBleacher Report
- Royals, Athletics swap Brandon Moss, Jesse Hahn in 4-player tradeMLB Daily Dish
- MLB Hot Stove: Royals trade Brandon Moss back to A's, continue unloading veteransCBSSports.com
- Royals acquire Hahn in trade with A'sMLB.com
- Royals send DH Moss, Buchter to A's for Hahn, FillmyerThe News Tribune