The Fire announced Saturday the team will travel to Munich to take on the reigning Bundesliga champions Aug. 28 in a tribute match to Schweinsteiger.
“I’m really looking forward to walking back out at the Allianz Arena and hopefully meeting lots of fans who’ve been there since the start of my career,” Schweinsteiger said in a statement.
The German midfielder, who joined the Bayern academy at 13 and won eight Bundesliga titles and the Champions League with the club, will play one half for each team.
“It is a great honor to have been invited to participate in a match with a legendary club such as Bayern Munich and in honoring one of the game's great champions and sportsmen,” Fire general manager Nelson Rodríguez said in a statement.
“Bastian is deserving of this recognition and we are grateful to both him and Bayern for including Chicago Fire SC.”
- Neuer vows to return for Bayern in 2018Fox Sports Asia
- Bundesliga LIVE: Bayern Munich host Hoffenheim, Dortmund welcome FreiburgDeutsche Welle
- Chelsea and Man United in race to sign Arturo Vidal as Bayern Munich authorise ...Football.London
- Bayern Munich rule out Julian Nagelsmann as champions plot Hoffenheim revengeDaily News Egypt
- Bayern Munich coach Heynckes wants to keep 'fundamental' Vidal from Chelsea ...Tribal Football
- Crocked Neuer adamant he will play again this seasonSBS - The World Game
- Chicago Fire to face Bayern Munich in Germany in Schweinsteiger tributeMLSsoccer.com
- Bayern dominance hurting Bundesliga and maybe the club, tooBorneo Bulletin Online
- Jame Rodriguez becoming a reputable superstar in the BundesligaNigerian Observer