Vital scored 20 points and Jalen Adams added 18 to lead Uconn to a 63-52 win over SMU.
Josh Carlton added a season-high 12 rebounds for the Huskies (11-9, 4-3), who used a 19-4 second-half run to secure much-needed conference win after losing back-to-back games, each by at least 20 points.
They lost second-leading scorer and leading rebounder Jarrey Foster to a left knee injury in their upset win at Wichita State last week.
UConn: The Huskies found out Thursday that they had lost their Appeal to have forward Sidney Wilson declared eligible this season.
UConn also played Thursday without Terry Larrier, who underwent surgery this week to repair a fractured sinus wall.
- Christian Vital, Jalen Adams Lead UConn To 63-52 Win Over SMUHartford Courant
- Sidney Wilson's Appeal Denied By NCAAHartford Courant
- Second-half run, freshmen key UConn men's win over SMUNew Haven Register
- Takeaways: SMU offense sputters in 63-52 loss to UConnDallas News (blog)
- UConn's Sidney Wilson has appeal denied by NCAACT Post
- UConn beats SMU 63-52Journal Inquirer
- UConn Men's Basketball Takes Down SMU, 63-52The UConn Blog (blog)
- Jeff Jacobs: NCAA investigating UConn menCT Post
- NCAA denies appeal of decision on UConn's Sidney Wilsontheday.com