Shares of the company rose 3.4 percent to $112 before the bell and were set to open at a record high after the U.S. drugmaker raised its 2018 earnings forecast on lower tax rates and expectations of higher operating performance.
"We expected an upward 2018 guidance revision, but not of this magnitude," Jefferies analyst Jeffrey Holford said in a client note.
AbbVie said it expects the adjusted effective tax rate will increase to 13 percent over the next five years due to higher domestic income and investment.
AbbVie's efforts to boost its cancer drug pipeline by expanding the use of Imbruvica, which accounted for about 9 percent of its revenue in 2017, could be a focus in 2018, analysts said.
AbbVie also said it planned to invest about $2.5 billion over the next five years in capital projects and would consider expanding facilities in the United States.
- AbbVie's Q4 Boosted by Strong Segment Results24/7 Wall St.
- AbbVie Stock Pops After Crushing Fourth-Quarter ExpectationsInvestor's Business Daily
- AbbVie's profit beats estimates on strong Humira sales, raises 2018 forecastNasdaq
- Abbvie INC (ABBV) Stock Price Rose While Ferguson Wellman Capital Management ...Finance News Daily
- Abbvie (ABBV) PT Raised to $130 at Cowen; Big BeatStreetInsider.com
- Earnings Clues on Target Corporation (TGT), AbbVie Inc. (ABBV) Analyst's ...StockNewsJournal
- AbbVie Inc (ABBV) Raises Outlook As Q4 Earnings Easily Beat ForecastStockNews.com (blog)
- AbbVie Inc. (ABBV) has current market capitalization of $172.96 BillionStandardOracle
- Abbvie INC (ABBV) Holder Ferguson Wellman Capital Management INC Cut Its HoldingKL Daily