Naomi Osaka of Japan hits the ball against Madison Keys of the US during their 2016 US Open Women's Single match at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Centre in New York on September 2, 2016.
— AFP picPERTH, Jan 4 — Youngster Naomi Osaka showed why she is regarded as a star of the future with a brave victory over Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova as Russia beat Japan 2-1 at the mixed teams Hopman Cup in Perth today.
Both sides were already out of finals contention and Russian Karen Khachanov then squared the Group B tie with a comfortable win over Yuichi Sugita in the men’s singles.
The match between Osaka and Pavlyuchenkova featured a host of momentum changes as the form of both players ebbed and flowed, and the Japanese woman struggled with her health.
After losses to top 10 duo Roger Federer and Jack Sock in his previous singles outings, the towering Khachanov was dominant against Sugita, breaking the Japanese player’s serve five times.
- Hopman Cup 30: Russia claim victory over Japan after Fast4 winThe West Australian
- Khachanov drags Russia off bottom rungSBS
- Cheeky young fan cracks up hero FedererYahoo7 Sport
- Roger Federer vs Jack Sock LIVE: Latest Hopman Cup score and updatesExpress.co.uk
- Federer in fine fettleThe Hindu
- Belgium's David Goffin can't hide top form at Hopman CupFox Sports
- Hopman Cup 2018: Roger Federer fires against Russia, Jack Sock retires with ...Brinkwire (press release)
- Roger Federer backs Alexander Zverev to step up at the Australian Open amid ...Metro
- Russia beats Japan at Hopman Cup in mixed doubles deciderDaily Mail