WASHINGTON: The Tabby's Star - the most mysterious star in the universe - dims and brightens in an unusual manner due to dust particles, say scientists who have debunked the theory that the cosmic body is being orbited by an Alien Megastructure.
The new data shows that different colours of light are being blocked at different intensities," said Tabetha Boyajian, professor at the Louisiana State University in the US.
The last two were named after ancient lost cities - Scotland's Scara Brae and Cambodia 's Angkor.
In many ways what is happening with the star is like these lost cities, researchers wrote in the study published The Astrophysical Journal Letters.
Citizen scientists, the Planet Hunters, sifting through massive amounts of data from the NASA Kepler mission were the ones to detect the star's unusual behaviour in the first place.
- It's dust particles, not alien spacecraft, that cause dimming of Tabby's starThe Hindu
- Cosmic dust, not 'alien megastructure,' veils mysterious starInquirer.net
- Alien Megastructure Is Just A Really Weird Star Surrounded by Dust, Says New ...Yahoo News UK
- KIC 8462852: How a Mysterious Star Went from Alien Megastructure to Dust MagnetNewsweek
- That flickering 'alien megastructure' star is probably just dustyPopular Science
- Star's Oddness Not Due to Alien Mega-Structure, Find ScientistsThe Wire
- 2017: The year that everything (and yet nothing) was ALIENSAiPT! Comics
- New data debunks alien megastructure theory on mysterious “Tabby's Star”Astronomy Now Online
- Scientists identify reason behind flickering of 'Alien Megastructure' star ...The TeCake