The length of the proposals were confirmed by high-ranking members of the Padres and Royals, but they declined to divulge the total guarantee, or whether opt-out provisions or buyouts are in the offers.
Hosmer, who turned only 28 in October, is a divisive player seen in different lights by baseball people and the stat community.
Baseball folks see a franchise type player thanks to Hosmer's leadership, his athleticism, and his all-around play.
The numbers, meanwhile, suggest Hosmer is a very inconsistent player from year-to-year with a short track record of being the kind of offensive force typically associated with big money first basemen.
That said, will a team bet seven years and $20-plus million per season on Hosmer hitting more fly balls?
- Eric Hosmer offered seven-year, $147 million deal to return to RoyalsUSA TODAY
- Eric Hosmer has a $147 million offer from the RoyalsSB Nation
- Report: The Royals have made a seven-year, $147 million offer to Eric HosmerHardballTalk (blog)
- Royals offer Hosmer $147 million deal to stay, USA Today reportsKMBC Kansas City
- Report says Royals have offered Eric Hosmer a 7-year, $147 million contract to ...fox4kc.com
- Report: Royals offer 1B Eric Hosmer 7-year $147 million contractKCTV Kansas City
- Report: Hosmer offered 7-year, $147 million deal to return to RoyalsKSNT News
- Eric Hosmer Rumors: Royals Offer 7-Year Contract After Padres' Record PitchBleacher Report
- Eric Hosmer offered a $147 million, seven-year deal to stay with Royals ...Kansas City Star