If you thought Kyrie Irving and LeBron James weren’t going to give us the satisfaction of lobbing passive-aggressive digs at one another through the media before Wednesday night’s game between the Boston Celtics and Cleveland Cavaliers , you are sorely mistaken, because they’re at it again.
Thanks to Hall of Fame basketball writer Jackie MacMullan, who went deep behind Irving’s breakup with James and the Cavs for ESPN.com, we were treated to an exchange between the ex-teammates, delivered 650 miles and a week apart early last month, that captured their relationship perfectly.
Here they are, still settling their differences through a game of telephone played in print, and so long as they never directly communicate about the issues that ended a partnership that resulted in three Finals appearances and Cleveland’s only basketball title, this drama will continue to envelop the NBA.
LeBron James, the greatest player of his generation, who has had no peers in the Eastern Conference for seven years running, is looking up in the standings at Kyrie Irving’s Celtics, and Game 2 of their rivalry will air on ESPN Wednesday night.
Read between the lines, though, and Irving will again confirm your suspicions about the trade request: He felt the Cavs weren’t maximizing his potential, leaving him to work off the ball and in isolation, rather than as a true point guard.
- Report: LeBron refused to commit to Cavs beyond this season over the summerCBSSports.com
- Yeah, Kyrie Was Ready To Get Away From LeBronDeadspin
- Report: Cleveland Cavaliers explored dealing Kyrie Irving before his trade requestNBA.com (blog)
- NBA Rumors: Kyrie Irving Was Convinced LeBron James' Camp Sparked Trade TalksNESN.com
- Behind Kyrie Irving's controversial departure from Cleveland -- and what he ...ESPN
- This Tense Kyrie Irving Exchange With Tyronn Lue Last Season Sums Up His ExitComplex
- Irving Felt Cavaliers, LeBron Didn't Want Him AnymoreCBS Boston / WBZ
- THEORY: A Tale learned 8 years ago is exactly why Dan Gilbert Traded Kyrie ...ClutchPoints
- Kyrie Irving Sets Record Straight On 'Inevitable' Trade From CavsNESN.com