While that's undoubtedly bad news for those living within affected areas, the ability to accurately predict when and where Earthquakes will occur is growing all the time.
(Image: REUTERS)Bilham, together with Rebecca Bendick from the University of Montana studied earthquakes occurring since 1900 that measured over 7 on the Richter Scale.
Although it's impossible to predict where the earthquakes will happen, the pair's research showed that historically they occur around the equator in the Earth's tropical regions.
"It appears to be a conference presentation and very preliminary rather than peer reviewed research, so there is no detail for us to examine," said GNS Science communications manager John Callan.
Among the major earthquakes last year were a 7.1 magnitude disaster which hit Mexico City in September and 7.3 on the border between Iran and Iraq on November 12.
- Strong earthquakes will bring severe destruction to Earth this year ...10,000 Couples
- Warning! American researchers predicts heavy worldwide earthquakes in 2018Catch News
- 2018 will bring the extreme earthquakes as Earth will rotate slowlyThe TeCake
- Mega earthquakes to rock earth in 2018, warn scientists, so did mystics ...International Business Times, Singapore Edition
- Hold On 2018, There's Gonna Be More Large-Scale Earthquakes10,000 Couples
- More Earthquakes Predicted In 2018 As Earth Enters Period Of Enhanced Seismic ...Tech Times
- Scientists warn of devastating earthquakes in 2018, but is there a need to worry?India TV
- Massive earthquakes may be about to hammer the planetBABW News
- Expect More Earthquakes This 2018, Geologists SayImmortal News