BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) — The United States used another late goal to continue its gold medal defense at the world Junior hockey championship.
Kieffer Bellows scored his second goal with 7:29 left in the third period to lead the U.S. in a 3-2 quarterfinal victory over Russia on Tuesday night.
Kailer Yamamoto also had a goal, Joey Anderson added an empty-netter and Joseph Woll (Westminster HS, St. Louis) made 27 saves for the Americans, who will play Sweden in the semifinals on Thursday.
Dylan Samberg’s indirect pass of the end boards bounced back to meet Bellows at the left faceoff circle.
In the opener of a three-game relegation series, Andreas Grundtvig scored with 15 seconds left in the third period to lead Denmark to a 5-4 comeback victory over Belarus.
- US Beats Russia, Advances to World Junior SemifinalsU.S. News & World Report
- US Beats Russia, 4-2, to Advance to 2018 World Juniors SemisUSA Hockey
- Team USA beats Russia in World Junior quarterfinals thriller, will face Sweden ...CBSSports.com
- World Juniors 2018 recap & highlights: United States scores a late goal to ...Habs Eyes on the Prize (blog)
- Team USA advances to World Junior semifinals on Kieffer Bellows' two-goal ...SB Nation
- Bellows helps US into World Juniors semifinalBuffalo News
- World juniors: Sharp-shooting Bellows leads US to semifinalsToronto Sun
- Team USA Defeats Russia in WJC QuartersSBN College Hockey (blog)
- Frederic and Team USA face Russia in World Junior quarterfinalsUniversity of Wisconsin Badgers