In addition, 18 states will give unskilled workers more money starting on Jan. 1., in wages that range from $8.85 to $11.50 an hour.
Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., Sen. Patty Murray, D-Wash., and Sen. Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., cosponsored a bill this spring to raise the federal Minimum Wage to $15 an hour by 2024.
The push for $15 an hour as the floor wage began six years ago when the Fight for $15 pro worker group targeted fast food companies, especially McDonald's Corporation ( MCD ) .
It was then that 200 McDonald's workers walked off the job in New York City to demand higher pay and union rights.
Takeaway: profit margins for retailers and fast-food companies could be pressured in 2018 due to new Minimum wage laws.
- Bullets, ballots and babies: A look at new state laws coming in 2018Fox News
- Florida's minimum wage rising MondayWESH Orlando
- Minimum wage rising in more than 3 dozen states and cities in 2018KTIC
- Higher minimum wages come to 18 states in 2018WNCN
- Ohio minimum wage set to rise by 15 cents an hour in 2018fox8.com
- The US has one of the stingiest minimum wage policies of any wealthy nationChicago Daily Herald
- Michigan's minimum wage increases 35 cents todayCrain's Detroit Business
- With New Year, Minimum Wage Increases 50 Cents an Hour While California ...Noozhawk
- Minimum wage increases across Missourifox2now.com