On Saturday the Catalan club strode into the Santiago Bernabeu and beat bitter rivals Real Madrid 3-0 to move 14 points clear of the reigning Spanish champs in the La Liga table.
With the win Barca move nine points ahead of Atletico Madrid who occupy second place, while Real remain in fourth with Zinedine Zidane’s side under plenty of pressure from their own fans.
Ronaldo had a goal disallowed for being offside after just two minutes following Casemiro’s flick on, while Benzema sent a header against the outside of the post from Marcelo’s cross and Luka Modric forced Marc-Andre Ter Stegen into a good save.
Barcelona delivered a hammer blow early in the second half as Real’s defense left Ivan Rakitic wide open and he played in Sergi Roberto who crossed for Suarez to finish off a flowing move.
His first shot was saved by Navas, then the Uruguayan striker pinged an effort against the post but the follow-up was stopped on the line by Carvajal with his hand and he was sent off and Barcelona warded a penalty kick.
- Real Madrid 0 Barcelona 3: Leaders strike major blow in title raceYahoo Sports
- WATCH: Barcelona Deals Real Madrid Debilitating Clasico LossSports Illustrated
- Barcelona vs. Real Madrid highlights: Suarez, Messi score as Barca win El ClasicoCBSSports.com
- Clasico win has not won Barcelona La Liga - ValverdeGoal.com
- Messi now all-time leading scorer against Real Madrid in La LigaGoal.com
- Suarez and Messi settle 'Clasico' as Barca race 14 points clearNew Straits Times Online
- El Clasico: Messi loses shoe, serves up assist that shouldn't have counted anywayCBSSports.com
- Soccer: Real Madrid's title hopes fade as Barcelona secure 3-0 'Clasico' winReuters India
- Barcelona leads Madrid by 14 points with 3-0 'clasico' winMinneapolis Star Tribune