Carlos Gonzalez – Star TribuneGallery: Mikael Granlund (64) shot the puck past Calgary Goalie Mike Smith (41) for a goal during the overtime shootout.
Carlos Gonzalez – Star TribuneGallery: Johnny Gaudreau (13) lifted the puck past Wild goalie Alex Stalock (32) for a goal during the during the overtime shootout.
But what made the Wild’s 2-1 shootout win over the Flames on Tuesday in front of 18,767 at Xcel Energy Center even more special — and impressive — was that it took two goaltenders to complete the job with backup Alex Stalock replacing No.
Not until 10 minutes, 2 seconds had passed did the Wild even register its first shot on goal — a wrister from captain Mikko Koivu that disappeared in Calgary goalie Mike Smith’s midsection.
On just its third shot, center Matt Cullen whipped a backhander through traffic and by Smith — who totaled 21 saves ——at 17:24 to end a 17-game scoreless streak and record the 250th goal of his career.
- Wild had emergency goalie Connor Beaupre ready if needed vs. FlamesMinneapolis Star Tribune
- HIGHLIGHTS: Granlund's goal, Stalock's save propels WildFOXSports.com
- Wild win 2-1 shootout with Flames, stretch winning streak to three gamesTwinCities.com-Pioneer Press
- Granlund's shootout goal lifts Wild to 2-1 win over FlamesTampabay.com
- Wild strives to get the extra pointMinneapolis Star Tribune
- Meet Connor Beaupre, the emergency goaltender who suited up for the WildTwinCities.com-Pioneer Press
- Flames Thoughts: Calgary gaining confidence and momentumSportsnet.ca
- Calgary Flames lose in a shootout vs. Minnesota WildFlame for Thought
- Murphy's double-double helps Gophers hold off DrakeSouthernminn.com