After an eight-day finals week break, the Wildcats (6-4) came out on fire and demolished the Cougars (2-11) to kick off a packed stretch of nonconference play.
The Cats had more made 3-pointers than the Cougars had points, had 14 assists to compared to zero and four NU players outscored the entire Chicago State team.
Games like this, in which Chicago State receives money to play power conference opponents, are crucial for the athletic department’s operations.
Chicago State stayed in a zone defense for much of the first half, allowing the Cats to easily move the ball around the court and into the hands of open shooters.
The blowout also allowed the bench to get additional minutes, and freshman guard Anthony Gaines took advantage, scoring a career-high 11 points and showcasing his athleticism on explosive drives.
- Northwestern sets records with 55-8 1st half, 96-31 victoryNews & Observer
- Never Made The Tourney Club Game Of The Week: Let's not talk about it.Mid-Major Madness
- Chicago State just played the worst half of basketball a Division I team can playMid-Major Madness
- At the Half: Northwestern 55, Chicago State 8The Big Lead
- Northwestern dismantles Chicago State 96-31FOXSports.com
- Northwestern-Chicago State rapid reaction: Wildcats obliterate Cougars 96-31Inside NU
- You won't believe this Northwestern-Chicago State scoreFanRag Sports (blog)
- Beard scores 28, FIU beats South Florida 65-53 (Dec 11, 2017)FOXSports.com
- Northwestern vs. Chicago State GamethreadInside NU