LONDON – 12 December 2017: Crystal Palace manager Roy Hodgson attempted to play down Christian Benteke's penalty miss after the club's former goalkeeper said he would have broken the striker's nose for the costly blunder.
Belgian striker Benteke went rogue and took the stoppage- time penalty against Bournemouth with the game locked at 2-2, even though Luka Milivojevic was the designated taker.
Benteke's weak spot-kick was saved by Bournemouth goalkeeper Asmir Begovic and Palace had to settle for a point which dropped them back to the foot of the table.
After the game Hodgson admitted Benteke's miss could "cost his side in May" but with a home clash looming against Watford on Tuesday the 70-year-old was more philosophical.
Palace captain Scott Dann also offered support to Benteke, despite the fact that Milivojevic had scored from the penalty spot earlier in the game.
- 'Pantomime villain' Christian Benteke sorry for penalty fiascoTelegraph.co.uk
- Roy Hodgson: Christian Benteke apologised to Crystal Palace team-mates after ...Daily Star
- He's behind you! Crystal Palace "pantomime villain" Christian Benteke backed ...Mirror.co.uk
- Christian Benteke apologises to Crystal Palace team-mates for penalty farceThe Guardian
- Crystal Palace Dealt Major Injury Blow as Sakho Faces Sidelines Until New YearSports Illustrated
- Crystal Palace star Christian Benteke apologised for 'breaking ranks' with ...Daily Mail
- Roy Hodgson reveals what Christian Benteke said to his Crystal Palace team ...Croydon Advertiser
- Crystal Palace 2-1 WatfordBBC Sport
- Benteke took immediate blame for penalty mistake - Crystal Palace boss HodgsonTribal Football