San Antonio plans to handle Leonard's Debut similarly to how it brought back Tony Parker , who was returning from a ruptured quadriceps tendon when he rejoined the lineup on Nov. 27 against Dallas.
The right quadriceps tendinopathy that has kept Leonard out of all 27 of the club's games thus far this season isn't as significant of an injury as what Parker suffered, but San Antonio's penchant for caution will remain.
The Spurs (19-8) originally targeted Saturday's game at Phoenix as the potential debut for Leonard, but sources explained that the forward needed "a couple more days" of recovery time.
Combine that with the fact Leonard still hasn't yet taken part in a true practice with the entire team, and you have the ingredients for what veteran guard Manu Ginobili calls "a mystery."
Leonard had been working out with Parker during the recovery process -- as he rehabbed his injury -- as well as former Spurs players Matt Bonner and Tim Duncan .
- Question marks abound in return of Spurs' Leonard, Ginobili saysmySanAntonio.com
- Spurs' Kawhi Leonard will make his season debut vs. MavsKSAT San Antonio
- Gregg Popovich: Kawhi Leonard to play tonight vs Dallas MavericksNBA.com
- Video: Kawhi Leonard apparently speaks and is into karate nowmySanAntonio.com
- Kawhi Leonard Expected to Make Season Debut for Spurs on Tuesday vs. MavsYahoo Sports
- Kawhi Leonard expected to make season debut Tuesday against Dallas MavericksNBA.com
- Spurs' Kawhi Leonard will play Tuesday night, Gregg Popovich saysChron.com
- Spurs list Kawhi Leonard as probable for season debut TuesdaySporting News
- Kawhi Leonard to Return to Spurs from Injury, Will Be on Minutes RestrictionBleacher Report