LAHAINA, Hawaii (AP) -- Markus Howard gathered the ball, gave a head fake, quickly moved his right foot forward to make the defender think he would drive to the basket.
Howard scored 18 of his 22 points in the second half, Andrew Rowsey added 20 and Marquette opened the Maui Invitational with a 94-83 victory over Virginia Commonwealth on Monday.
VCU (2-2) caused some problems with its pressure defense - 17 Marquette turnovers - but had trouble slowing the Golden Eagles shooters, particularly after offensive rebounds.
The Golden Eagles are coming off their first NCAA Tournament appearance under Wojciechowski, but lost two senior starters and two key reserves from that team.
He kept firing, as good shooters do, and the shots that were missing before started dropping, helping the Golden Eagles build a 73-64 lead midway through the second half.
- Marquette 94, VCU 83: Golden Eagles win Maui openerMilwaukee Journal Sentinel
- Play-by-play: VCU falls to Marquette in opening round of Maui InvitationalRichmond.com
- VCU can't keep Marquette off the boards in Maui Invitational lossRichmond.com
- LIVE UPDATES: VCU plays in the first round of the Maui InvitationalRichmond.com
- FLOOR SLAPS: Howard's second-half spree helps Marquette defeat VCUMarquette Wire
- Marquette vs. VCU Maui Invitational final score: Golden Eagles use deft 3 ...Big East Coast Bias (blog)
- Game Preview: VCU v Marquette [INSIDER]VCU Ram Nation (press release)
- Marquette pulls away from VCU with 3-point flurryReuters
- Preview: Marquette vs. VCUReuters