Denise Young Smith , who is black, angered activists during this year’s One Young World Summit in Bogota when she defended the diverse “life experience” that Apple ’s white employees bring to the table.
The executive apologized within days, but the company now says she will head to Cornell Tech at the end of the year.
An Apple source told Tech Crunch on Thursday that Ms. Smith ’s departure was discussed with CEO Tim Cook roughly one year ago, despite the announcement after six months on the job.
“We deeply believe that Diversity drives innovation,” an Apple spokesperson said in a statement to TechCrunch.
“We’re thrilled to welcome an accomplished leader like Christie Smith to help us continue the progress we’ve made toward a more diverse workplace.”
- Apple's first diversity chief is leaving after only 6 monthsThe Grio
- Apple's diversity chief steps down six months into the jobGears Of Biz
- Apple Replaces Diversity Chief With an Outside Hire After Just 6 MonthsObserver
- Apple's Diversity Chief Is Leaving After Six MonthsGizmodo
- Apple's First-Ever Diversity VP Resigns After Less Than A YearInternational Business Times
- Apple diversity chief thrown overboard for advocating diversityCanada Free Press
- Silicon Valley's most powerful black woman is leaving AppleVICE News
- Apple's first VP of inclusion and diversity leaves after 6 monthsBGR India
- Apple Diversity Head Taken Down by Social Media Outrage (You Could Be Next)Inc.com