HOMESTEAD (CBSMiami/AP) — The Super Bowl of the Nascar Cup Series is taking place today in South Florida.
Martin Truex Jr. is 37, a NASCAR journeyman with two second-tier titles and a favorite for the first time to win the Cup championship.
Truex and the Denver, Colorado-based Furniture Row Racing team have excelled through adversity all season: Truex’s longtime partner, Sherry Pollex, had a recurrence of ovarian cancer; a mechanic died of a heart attack the night before Truex’s win last month at Kansas; and team owner Barney Visser is sidelined in Colorado because of emergency heart surgery a week ago.
Then Truex scraped the wall during Saturday practice and his crew — with a borrowed mechanic from Toyota teammate Busch’s team — had to hammer away any damage.
He was in a violent wreck on the restart, Jimmie Johnson won a seventh title in a Chevrolet, and Edwards retired about two months later.
- Martin Truex Jr. Goes For First NASCAR Monster Energy Title as Girlfriend ...NBC 6 South Florida
- Here is the latest Florida sports news from The Associated PressTampabay.com
- Truex hopes to cap 'amazing' season with first NASCAR Cup championshipPress of Atlantic City
- NASCAR drivers win big prize money, but they say it takes just as much to make ...CNBC
- Love. Loss. Life moves on – now Martin Truex Jr. is on the verge of first ...Durham Herald Sun
- Martin Truex Jr., Kyle Busch remain the NASCAR championship favorites after ...Autoweek
- See NASCAR's Top Drivers Take Foreign Road Sign TestRadar Online
- Keselowski views finale as 'opportunity to add to my legacy'DeathRattleSports.com
- Truex strengthens grip as driver to beat for NASCAR titleABC News