BATON ROUGE - Maybe it's ideal to hear the story of Nick Saban's $14,000 recruiting table while just outside Tiger Stadium, where everything is so very LSU that 1959 Heisman Trophy winner Billy Cannon has just strolled in toward the elevator.
Maybe it makes some kind of eccentric sense to hear it as LSU completes the hard digestion of a homecoming loss two Saturdays prior against - sigh - Troy.
Further, they've had to undergo that normal, dreary college-town saga, that of a longtime coach wearing out (Les Miles), an interim taking over (Ed Orgeron) and then a subsequent loss to Troy, before LSU righted things to beat Florida, Auburn and Ole Miss and reach No.
A suite above the 50-yard line, where Guidry spoke before the Auburn-LSU game last month, and where caterers bustled around the counter and refrigerator, lends a clear sense of LSU as a way of life.
Jake Netterville, the current leader of the Tiger Athletic Foundation, had just attended a Friday night dinner honoring million-dollar donors, with the kind of filet mignon that people use their fingers to indicate its thickness.
- LSU vs. Alabama LIVE SCORE UPDATES (11/4/17) | NCAA college footballNJ.com
- No. 1 Alabama heavily favored against No. 19 LSUWWL First News
- LSU set to make statement vs. AlabamaArkansas Online
- Alabama vs. LSU live stream, how to watch; college football 2017AL.com
- Football Takes Aim at Alabama for Division LeadLSUSports.net
- College football rankings 2017: AP Poll Top 25 scores for Week 10SECcountry.com
- GAME DAY: Crimson Tide consistently recruits well in LouisianaTuscaloosa News
- College Football Schedule, Week 10: Bedlam leads big week after first CFP rankingsAcme Packing Company
- Rabalais: LSU needs to make pigs fly again vs. Alabama with its own 'Miracle ...The Advocate