That matched the PGA Tour record for largest blown lead in the final round, most recently by Sergio Garcia at Quail Hollow in 2005, and most famously by Greg Norman in the 1996 Masters.
His last hope was to made eagle on the par-5 closing hole at Sheshan International, and he smashed his second shot into the wind and over the water.
Rose two-putted from long range on the 18th for par to finish at 14-under 274 and win for the first time since capturing the gold medal at the Olympics last summer in Rio de Janeiro.
But on the 17th, after Rose had made his birdie in the group ahead, Stenson's ballooned his tee shot into the wind and came up well short and to the right, and he failed to save par.
- Rose roars back to win in Shanghai as Johnson crumblesReuters UK
- Justin Rose wins WGC-HSBC Champions event after stunning comeback over Dustin ...The Indian Express
- Johnson races out to 6-shot lead in HSBC ChampionsPocono Record
- Rose rallies from 8 back to stun DJ at WGCGolf Channel (blog)
- WGC-HSBC Champions: Henrik Stenson thinks he might be playing for secondSporting News
- Golf roundup: Dustin Johnson has six-shot lead at HSBC Champions tournamentLos Angeles Times
- Imperious Johnson takes six-shot leadGulf Times
- Dustin Johnson takes six-stroke lead into final round at HSBC ChampionsCBSSports.com
- WGC-HSBC Champions: A look ahead to final round with Dustin Johnson in controlSporting News