The Battle Creek, Mich.-based cereal and snack maker said on Twitter Wednesday it will replace the cover drawing of cartoon characters shaped like Corn kernels populating a shopping mall.
What struck Saladin Ahmed was that a single brown corn pop was working as a janitor operating a floor waxer.
Ahmed, current writer of Marvel Comics' Black Bolt series and author of 2012 fantasy novel Throne of the Crescent Moon, took to Twitter Tuesday to ask, "Why is literally the only brown corn pop on the whole cereal box the janitor?
In a statement to USA TODAY, spokesperson Kris Charles said Kellogg respects fall people and is commited to diversity.
The initial clip "was intended to convey that Dove Body Wash is for every woman and be a celebration of diversity," the company said in a statement.
- Marvel Writer Convinces Kellogg's to Change Racially Insensitive Cereal Box ...Hollywood Reporter
- Kellogg's Apologizes For 'Racist' Corn Pops Art, Says It Will Be ReplacedFortune
- Kellogg redoing Corn Pops boxes after concern about artPhilly.com
- Kellogg's to change racist Corn Pops artwork after being called outChron.com
- Kellogg's accused of racism after janitor cleaning the floor was the ONLY dark ...Mirror.co.uk
- Kellogg's called out for 'racist' cartoon on cereal boxNew York Post
- Kellogg's changing Corn Pops box after writer called it racistNJ.com
- Kellogg's Sorry About Racially Insensitive Cereal BoxesNewser
- Kellogg's is replacing Corn Pops boxes after some say the art on the box is racistCentre Daily Times