Before he juggled working for the DEA, CIA, and Medellin cartel, American Made protagonist Barry Seal was just a regular airline pilot for TWA.
Of course, an airline pilot's schedule isn't exactly conducive to productive drug smuggling, and in the film, Barry walks away from his job to pursue his career in law enforcement and criminality full time.
Much of Seal's real story has been conflated with legend, made only more complicated by his disputed potential involvement with the CIA.
After losing his job as an airline pilot for TWA, Seal became a full time drug smuggler and DEA informant (and maybe CIA asset).
It looks like Barry's involvement with TWA is something the company would rather keep on the down low, so as not to tarnish their reputation as one of the nation's first major airlines.
- What Happened To Barry Seal's Wife & Kids? 'American Made' Tells Only Part Of ...Bustle
- Tom Cruise dominates the screen in the larger than life 'American Made'Los Angeles Times
- Take Me To The Pilot: 'American Made' SoarsCapital Public Radio News
- Review: 'American Made' Has Lies, Spies and Coke. Tom Cruise, Too.New York Times
- 'American Made' film review: Tom Cruise shines as a corrupt pilot addicted to ...Scroll.in
- American Made Is an Iran–Contra Movie That Gets High on Its Own SupplySlate Magazine
- The Mistake In The American Made Script That Doug Liman Fought Hard To RemoveCinema Blend
- 'American Made' and 'Flatliners' Target Spots in the Weekend Box Office Top FiveBox Office Mojo
- Farcical And Madcap, 'American Made' Stars Tom Cruise At His BestKTEP