The FBI has arrested four College Basketball assistant Coaches, including Tony Bland from USC, in what federal authorities say is a corruption scandal involving bribes paid to steer elite athletes to financial advisors.
Prosecutors have called a press conference at noon in New York to discuss the charges, include bribery and fraud.
“Moreover many such coaches have enormous influence over the student-athletes who play for them, in particular with respect to guiding those student-athletes through the process of selecting agents and other advisors when they prepare to leave college and enter the NBA,” the FBI said.
Bland, a former coach at San Diego State, brought a reputation as a star recruiter to USC.
In the court papers, the FBI says that Bland met in July with a sports agent, Christian Dawkins, in a hotel room in Las Vegas to talk about signing two USC players, a rising freshman who had just committed to the school, and a rising sophomore.
- Nick Wright: I really believe Dak is a special playerFOXSports.com
- A college basketball bribery scandal leads to arrests of 10 people ...Yahoo Finance
- 4 NCAA coaches face federal charges over alleged college basketball fraud schemePolitico
- Ex-NBA Star Chuck Person Among Coaches Charged in Bribe ScamBloomberg
- NCAA assistant coaches among 10 accused of fraud, corruptionNews & Observer
- College basketball coaches arrested in corruption scheme247Sports
- Jim Gatto: 5 Fast Facts You Need to KnowHeavy.com
- NCAA basketball coaches, sportswear company reps arrested in corruption scandalWCVB Boston
- NCAA basketball coaches, Adidas executive arrested in corruption probeFox Business