According to sources who spoke with Yahoo Sports, Jones casually chatted with a few members of the team’s leadership committee, letting them know the anthem was very close to his heart.
They have long known that Jones and head coach Jason Garrett have a deep well of affection when it comes to the people whose jobs involve protecting and serving.
Jones is known for being in tune with his captains and veterans, particularly the leadership counsel, which has bent Jones’ ear with past grievances – like the disruptive acts of Greg Hardy in 2015 – and let him know when something needed to be internally addressed.
It wiped out the myth that Jones was the team owner who would never open his stage for protest, but also recognized the ambitious racial and social equality push of NFL players can coexist with a revered symbol.
- Cowboys Kneel Before National Anthem Against ArizonaU.S. News & World Report
- Steelers' Roethlisberger, Villanueva regret team's anthem protest, but for ...Washington Post
- Cowboys, Cardinals lock arms for national anthem in show of unityESPN
- Cowboys, Cardinals Link Arms Amid Anthem ProtestsU.S. News & World Report
- Cowboys Take A Knee In Prayer Before National AnthemCBS DFW
- Jerry Jones kneels with Cowboys players prior to anthem in ArizonaSFGate
- Pro-Trump Dallas Cowboys Owner Jerry Jones Kneels with Players Before 'Monday ...Daily Beast
- Sunday NFL ratings down, but here come the Cowboys, D-FW to lift the league upDallas News (blog)
- What Cowboys are planning to do during anthem tonightDallas News (blog)