EAST LANSING, Mich. (AP) Brandon Wimbush threw for a touchdown and ran for one, and Notre Dame routed turnover-prone Michigan State 38-18 on Saturday night.
Notre Dame’s Dexter Williams caught a touchdown pass and ran for a TD, and Deon McIntosh added a scoring run for the Irish (3-1).
Michigan State hadn’t allowed an offensive touchdown through its first two games, but Notre Dame put an end to that run by driving 78 yards in 1:55 on the game’s first possession.
Scott was about to score when Notre Dame defensive back Shaun Crawford forced a fumble and recovered the ball in the end zone for a touchback.
It will be the teams’ first meeting since Michigan State edged the Hawkeyes 16-13 in the 2015 Big Ten title game, securing a berth in college football’s playoff.
- Michigan State's turnover margin nosedive continues against Notre DameMLive.com
- Spartans bloodied but 'not broken' in loss to IrishThe Detroit News
- Irish show killer instinct in routFort Wayne Journal Gazette
- What Michigan State's Mark Dantonio said after 38-18 loss to Notre DameLandof10.com
- LJ Scott's fumble-fingers hurt Spartans in lossThe Detroit News
- Michigan State explains why Brian Lewerke kept playing during blowoutDetroit Free Press
- Michigan State report card: Offensive errors costly in Notre Dame lossDetroit Free Press
- What Michigan State football players, coaches said after loss to IrishDetroit Free Press
- 'We're not broken;' Mistakes doom Michigan State in loss to Notre DameDetroit Free Press