Thomas had six players ahead of him Friday when he smashed a 335-yard drive down the bottom of the hill on the par-5 18th hole at East Lake, and then a 5-iron that settled 6 feet below the cup for a closing eagle.
Just like that, Thomas had a 4-under 66 and a share of the Lead with Paul Casey and Webb Simpson and was back in control — a loose term the way this tournament is shaping up going into the weekend — of his chase for the $10 million bonus.
Thomas outlasted Spieth and Marc Leishman to win at the TPC Boston three weeks ago, and now he’s tied for the lead going into the weekend at East Lake.
Fran Quinn, Jesper Parnevik, Davis Love III, Colin Montgomerie, Joe Durant, Tom Kite, Duffy Waldorf and Lee Janzen each shot 68s on Poppy Hills, and were joined at 3 under by Brandt Jobe, who had a 69 on Pebble Beach.
At Beachwood, Ohio, Matt Atkins shot a 2-under 68 to take a one stroke lead after the second round of the DAP Championship, the third of four events in the Web.com Tour Finals.
- Justin Thomas, Jordan Spieth pushing each other again at The Tour ChampionshipUSA TODAY
- WATCH: Jason Dufner splits trousers in Tour ChampionshipSkySports
- Webb Simpson finally rids himself of 'anchor' that was holding him back, ties ...GolfDigest.com
- Thomas on track for FedEx titleRTE.ie
- For some, Tour Championship means more than millions in prizesESPN
- Thomas in driver's seat at PGA Tour ChampionshipDaily Mail
- Justin Thomas, Paul Casey and Webb Simpson tied for the lead at the Tour ...GolfDigest.com
- PGA Tour 2017: Live leaderboard for TOUR Championship (FedExCup Playoffs)cleveland.com
- Five takeaways from Friday at Tour ChampionshipAtlanta Journal Constitution