If you didn't see Eggsy make his chav-to-suave(ish) transformation in The Secret Service , you are going to be awfully confused when the sequel, Kingsman: The Golden Circle , kicks off with not so much a bang, but at least at gunpoint.
As directed by Matthew Vaughn, the plot hinges on the decimation of the entire Kingsman family, including killing off fellow spy, Roxy (Sophie Cookson).
With the Kingsman down, Eggsy and his Q counterpart, Merlin (Mark Strong), hop the pond to seek assistance from their American cousins, the Statesman: Agents “Champ,” as in Champaign (Jeff Bridges), Whiskey ( Narcos ' Pedro Pascal) and Tequila (Channing Tatum), the latter arriving with his shotgun twirling and a “y’all”-heavy Kentucky accent, then essentially disappears for the rest of the movie.
There’s the plotting of it all: As head of the titular Golden Circle, a cartel with a global monopoly on the drug trade, she has a clear motive -- not to take over the world, but to get fame, fortune and, for once, some gosh darn respect.
That will surely be the most problematic scene in the movie: In an all-around unnecessary sequence that hops back across the pond to Glastonbury, Eggsy’s assignment is to seduce an enemy’s girlfriend (Poppy Delevingne) and place a tracker on her.
- [SPOILERS] How Death Ruins Kingsman: The Golden CircleBleeding Cool News
- Kingsman: The Golden Circle has another controversial sex sceneEW.com (blog)
- Julianne Moore Is the Real Reason 'Kingsman: The Golden Circle' Is Worth SeeingIndieWire
- Channing Tatum pranked his 'Kingsman' co-star with $1500 worth of sex toysUSA TODAY
- REVIEW: 'Kingsman: The Golden Circle' falls flatWABC-TV
- PHIL ON FILM: Wacky, wild 'Kingsman: The Golden Circle' manages to top originalKGUN
- Ticket Booth: The LEGO Ninjago Movie, Kingsman: The Golden CircleBleeding Cool News
- Kingsman: The Golden Circle – How Colin Firth's Harry Hart ReturnsCBR (blog)
- 'Kingsman' sequel has wild action, Elton John … but feels emptyCape Cod Times (subscription)