At a rally in Huntsville, Ala., stumping for Luther Strange’s senatorial campaign, President Donald Trump spoke at length about the protests and declining ratings happening in the NFL.
Specifically, Trump referred to the protesters, most of which are black men, as ‘that son of a bitch.’ The President then doubled down and said team owners should fire the protesters and would gain notoriety for doing so.
Various players this season, including Michael Bennett , Malcolm Jenkins , and several Cleveland Browns have sat, kneeled in prayer or raised their fist during the anthem to protest the unfair treatment of people of color by the police and the country’s systemic injustices.
Trump then transitioned to the topic of player safety and rule changes in the league, only a day after researchers at Boston University found that Aaron Hernandez had one of the most severe forms of CTE .
During his speech on Friday night, he also told the Alabama crowd, "We're going to be like your football teams, we're going to win all the time."
- Donald Trump rips NFL, says owners should cut any players who kneel during anthemCBSSports.com
- The Latest: Trump blasts NFL players who kneel during anthemChron.com
- Watch: Trump Says NFL Owners Should 'Fire' National Anthem ProtestorsSports Illustrated
- Trump blasts NFL players who kneel during national anthemNewsday
- Trump Blasts NFL Players Who Kneel During Anthem; 'Get That SOB Off The Field'CBS Detroit
- President Donald Trump criticizes NFL player protests, says fans should exit ...ESPN
- NFL Players Respond to Trump's Comments on Anthem ProtestersSports Illustrated
- Trump blasts NFL anthem protesters: 'Get that son of a bitch off the field'The Guardian
- President Trump says NFL players who protest anthem should be firedUSA TODAY