Bettencourt's daughter, Francoise Bettencourt-Meyers, confirmed the death in a statement to French media, saying her mother died "peacefully" at her home in France overnight Wednesday.
"We all had a great admiration for Liliane Bettencourt who always looked after L'Oréal, the company and its employees, and was very attached to its success and development," said Jean Paul Agon, Chairman and CEO of L'Oréal Group, in a statement .
In 2007, Bettencourt-Meyers, an only child, filed a criminal suit, accusing her mother's friend, François-Marie Banier, of taking advantage of an elderly woman not in full control of her faculties.
"While she remained in the background most of her life, Mrs. Bettencourt had long tried to live down the stains of anti-Semitic activities and Nazi associations by her father and husband before and during World War II."
Bettencourt was known for her philanthropy, donating millions of dollars to education, museums and medical research, reports the Times, but she took a largely passive role as her father's successor at L'Oréal.
- Liliane Bettencourt, L'Oréal Heiress Vexed by Swindling Case, Is Dead at 94New York Times
- Liliane Bettencourt, L'Oréal heiress and world's richest woman, dies at 94Washington Post
- Billionaire L'Oreal Heiress Bettencourt Dies Aged 94U.S. News & World Report
- L'Oreal heiress Liliane Bettencourt dies at 94BBC News
- L'Oreal Heiress Liliane Bettencourt Dead at 94NBCNews.com
- The World's Wealthiest Woman, L'Oreal Heiress Liliane Bettencourt, Dies At Age 94Forbes
- Liliane Bettencourt, L'Oreal cosmetics heiress and the world's richest woman ...Newsday
- L'Oreal heiress Liliane Bettencourt dies at age 94mySanAntonio.com
- Liliane Bettencourt, L'Oreal heiress and world's richest woman, dies at 94Livemint