Sale struck out 13 to become the first AL pitcher in 18 years to reach the 300 mark, and the Red Sox clinched a playoff berth hours after beating the Baltimore Orioles 9-0 on Wednesday night.
They lead the AL East by three games over the rival New York Yankees with 10 to play as Boston pursues its third division title in five years.
Manny Machado was held out with an illness that manager Buck Showalter said the third baseman had been dealing with for nearly two weeks, and shortstop Tim Beckham was unavailable after having a wisdom tooth removed.
Red Sox: INF Eduardo Nunez (knee sprain) fielded grounders and did some running but still has a way to go before returning to the lineup.
Red Sox: After a day off Thursday, Boston sends 17-game loser Rick Porcello to the mound in the opener of a three-game interleague series at Cincinnati.
- Red Sox 9, Orioles 0: Chris Sale hits his 300th strikeout in blowout winThe Providence Journal
- Red Sox ace Chris Sale digs deep for 300th strikeoutBoston Herald
- Red Sox ace Chris Sale reaches 300-strikeout milestoneSporting News
- Red Sox notebook: Hanley Ramirez provides some popBoston Herald
- Sale's lucky 13 helps seal deal for BostonThe Register-Guard
- Chris Sale strikes out 300th batter of season for Boston Red Sox (video)MassLive.com
- Eduardo Rodriguez's delivery wasn't the same after knee injury, until recentlyComcast SportsNet New England
- Chris Sale becomes first AL pitcher to record 300 strikeouts since 1999Yahoo Canada Sports
- Sale reaches 300 Ks as Red Sox complete sweep of OriolesLowell Sun