Large dehumidifiers were rolled in and the mist eventually cleared, but the NHL has perhaps a bigger visibility problem in China - a country with little tradition of winter sports, hockey included.
The league is hoping to turn that around with a major push in the country, beginning with its first two Preseason Games between the Canucks and Kings in Shanghai and Beijing this week.
The NHL also has an influential partner on the ground in Zhou Yunjie, the billionaire founder of a Chinese drinks packaging company who has devoted significant time and resources to building the game he fell in love with as a youth in Beijing.
Zhou said China's hockey revival should focus on both universities and a professional league, using the North American, northern European and Russian systems as models.
On Monday, the Vancouver Canucks signed 21-year-old Sun Zehao to an amateur tryout contract to serve as the team's third goaltender for the China Preseason games.
- Canucks 5 Flames 3: Top prospects put on a show in CalgaryThe Province
- WATCH LIVE: Canucks vs. Kings from Shanghai, ChinaNBCSports.com
- NoteworthyAlbany Times Union
- Drouin shows 'commitment' to community with donation to Montreal hospitalNBCSports.com
- Canucks pre-season China series part of NHL's international pushCBC.ca
- Canucks coach trying to normalize China leg of training campCanoe
- Here's everything you need to know about the Kings-Canucks preseason games in ...SB Nation
- Calgary Flames pre-season: vs. Vancouver Canucks tonight at SaddledomeCalgary Sun
- Los Angeles Kings, Vancouver Canucks embrace opportunity to break the ice in ChinaESPN