MIAMI – Jake Lamotta, the former middleweight champion whose life in and out of the ring was depicted in the film “Raging Bull,” for which Robert De Niro won an Academy Award, has died, his fiancee said Wednesday.
LaMotta's first defense was supposed to be a rematch with Cerdan, but the Frenchman was killed when a plane en route to the United States crashed in the Azores in 1949.
In their second match, on Feb. 5, 1943, in New York, LaMotta won a 10-round decision, giving Robinson his first defeat in the 41st fight of his stellar career.
The 1980 film “Raging Bull,” based on LaMotta's memoir written 10 years earlier, was nominated for eight Academy Awards.
De Niro, who gained 50 pounds to portray the older, heavier LaMotta, won the best actor award.
- Jake LaMotta will go down as one of the toughest to grace a boxing ring – but ...The Sun
- Jake LaMotta, the 'Raging Bull' boxing legend, dead at 95Hindustan Times
- Jake LaMotta, legendary 'Raging Bull' boxer, dies at 95India Today
- Jake LaMotta, Boxer Of 'Raging Bull' Fame, Dies At 95NPR
- Jake LaMotta, boxer who inspired 'Raging Bull,' dies at 95Fox 32 Chicago
- Jake 'The Raging Bull' LaMotta dead at 95Mumbai Mirror
- RIP Jake LaMotta, the real Raging BullAV Club
- Jake LaMotta dies: Raging Bull, Bronx Bull obituary - Sugar Ray Robinson wars ...NEWS.com.au
- 'Raging Bull' fighter LaMotta dies at age 95Asheboro Courier Tribune