Their friendship remains as strong as ever -- for the last two years they have enjoyed spring break together in the Bahamas, and they shared a rented a house for the Open at Royal Birkdale with fellow pros Rickie Fowler, Jimmy Walker, Zac Johnson and Jason Dufner.
Thomas missed the cut at the Open, but stayed on and was greenside to congratulate Spieth on winning the Claret Jug after a thrilling final-round battle with Matt Kuchar.
For the Tour Championship, FedEx Cup points accrued over the season are reset, meaning mathematically any of the 30 competitors in the field can win the title and the $10 million bonus.
Spieth previously claimed the FedEx title back in 2015 -- the season which saw him surge to top of the world rankings with back-to-back major victories at the Masters and US Open.
Regardless of who is celebrating come Sunday evening, both Spieth and Thomas agree that it will not define their seasons and that their respective major triumphs will live longest in the memory.
- 2 trophies on the line as PGA Tour season ends at East LakeColumbus Ledger-Enquirer
- Australian golfer Marc Leishman in pursuit of $12 million payday at the US PGA ...Fox Sports
- For five players, a win equals FedExCup, $10 millionUSA TODAY
- Tour Championship: Justin Thomas deserves to be crowned the PGA Tour's Player ...The National
- PGA Tour live stream: How to watch the FedEx Cup finale at the Tour ...Express.co.uk
- Watch Tour Championship 2017: Live stream online, time, TV channel, scheduleCBSSports.com
- Perez's not complaining about slim Tour chancesThe Augusta Chronicle
- Rahm proud of consistency in 2017AOL UK
- Quick 9: Why Tour Championship could use a change of sceneryESPN