SAN FRANCISCO (AP) – Carlos Gonzalez could have let the ball drop and watched Hunter Pence end the game with a hit.
Charlie Blackmon had a two-run double in the second inning for his first career 200-hit season, but Colorado couldn’t hold its early lead and lost 4-3 to the San Francisco Giants on Tuesday night.
Pence hit a game-ending sacrifice fly with Colorado playing a five-man infield, and Gonzalez made an outstanding diving catch.
Pablo Sandoval singled leading off the ninth against Chris Rusin (5-1), and Orlando Calixte entered to pinch run.
Buster Posey hit a one-out double in the eighth off Pat Neshek before second baseman LeMahieu made a beautiful, diving stop of Brandon Crawford’s hard grounder and a tough throw to first for the out.
- Johnny Cueto at his own pace in Giants' walk-off winSFGate
- Hunter Pence delivers twice for Giants in win over RockiesThe Mercury News
- Rockies lose to Giants 4-3 in 9th inningPurple Row
- Giants walk off against Rockies, 4-3McCovey Chronicles
- Rockies' walk-off loss to Giants cuts wild-card lead to one gameThe Denver Post
- Cueto deals, Pence provides the offense in Giants' walk-off winSan Francisco Examiner
- Rocktober Relived: September 20, 2007--the first of many sweeps9NEWS.com
- Cueto, Pence Power Giants to Walk-off Win Over RockiesNBC Bay Area
- Rockies need to bounce back vs. GiantsYahoo Sports