Legendary Composer Thomas Newman is hoping the 15th time will be the charm with his score for “ Victoria and Abdul ,” Stephen Frears ‘ new film about an unlikely friendship between Queen Victoria ( Judi Dench ) and a young Indian clerk named Abdul ( Ali Fazal ).
Newman has reaped an impressive 14 Oscar nominations throughout his lengthy career without a single win.
SEE Judi Dench on the ‘remarkable’ and controversial relationship between ‘Victoria and Abdul’ [WATCH] The prolific tunesmith received his first two Academy Award nominations in 1994 for “The Shawshank Redemption” and “Little Women.” He has competed 11 more times for score: “Unstrung Heroes” in 1995, “American Beauty” in 1999, “Road to Perdition” in 2002, “Finding Nemo” in 2003, “Lemony Snicket’s A Series of Unfortunate Events” in 2004, “The Good German” in 2006, “Wall-E” in 2008, “Skyfall” in 2012, “Saving Mr. Banks” in 2013, “Bridge of Spies” in 2015, and “Passengers” in 2016).
PREDICT the Oscar nominees now; change them until January 23 Be sure to make your Oscar nomination predictions so that Hollywood studio executives and top name stars can see how their films are faring in our Academy Awards odds.
And join in the fierce debate over the 2018 Oscars taking place right now with Hollywood insiders in our film forums .
- Victoria and Abdul: The Friendship that Scandalized EnglandSmithsonian
- At 82, Judi Dench's mission remains the same: 'To learn'Albany Times Union
- Review: Victoria and Abdul Tells an Important History, but Forgets a Crucial ...The Mary Sue
- 'I'd rather be called as**t than a Dame!' Judi Dench, 82, shocks with ...Daily Mail
- Long may she reign over usTelegraph.co.uk
- Not even Judi Dench can save the limp Victoria & AbdulMetro US
- Cinema Review: Victoria And AbdulEchonetdaily
- 'Victoria & Abdul' Star Ali Fazal Signs With WME (Exclusive)Hollywood Reporter
- Queen Victoria takes on James Bond as Britain's favourite film characterTelegraph.co.uk