Now, as New York coach, he has helped lead the Red Bulls to one of their two pieces of silverware, the 2015 Supporters' Shield — but winning a final remains something the team has yet to do.
The Red Bulls lost in their trip to Kansas City earlier this season — a 2-0 defeat on May 3 — but did manage to go unbeaten at the venue formerly known as Sporting Park in 2014 and 2015, posting a 1-0-2 record.
The Red Bulls will look to use their fluid 5-4-1 system to neutralize Sporting KC's fast-paced 4-3-3 setup that has relied more on its midfield creators and speedy wide players since the team traded Dwyer to Orlando City.
The Red Bulls visit Children's Mercy Park in search of the club's first win in a final, while Sporting KC looks for its sixth title game victory
- Preview: The Red Bulls aim for their first ever cup final winOnce A Metro
- Lamar Hunt US Open Cup: Sporting KC hosts New York Red Bulls in finals showdownKCTV Kansas City
- US Open Cup Stories: Match PreviewOnce A Metro
- "Meara Meara on the Wall" - RBNY predicted XI: @ Sporting Kansas City, Lamar ...Once A Metro
- 3 Kljestans With: The Blue Testament for RBNY vs Sporting Kansas City, 2017 ...Once A Metro
- Sporting KC to meet Red Bulls for US Open Cup championshipNew Jersey Herald
- Open Cup regular Ryan Meara to start for Red Bulls in final vs. Sporting KCMLSsoccer.com
- Sporting KC, Red Bulls expect fast-paced, press-heavy US Open Cup finalMLSsoccer.com
- Five Things to Know About #USOC2017 FinalU.S. Soccer (press release) (registration) (blog)