As Leland Hess and Karen Bettleyon walked through the main lobby of Pegula Ice Arena, one in a Buffalo Sabres sweater, the other wearing Pittsburgh Penguins gear, they soaked in the experience Tuesday evening.
Missing from the game were stars fans were hoping to see like Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, Kris Letang, Phil Kessel, Jake Guentzel and goalie Matt Murray.
The coach also needled forward Bryan Rust, a Notre Dame product, if his school could compare to Penn State’s facility, and offered a little advice on defending a championship to the Nittany Lions after winning the Big Ten title last season.
With their favorite teams on the ice in front of them, and fresh off posing for a photo with Sabres mascot “Sabretooth,” it was a memorable night for the sold-out arena crowd including State College fans Hess and Bettleyon — no matter who won.
Penguins' Daniel Sprong passes the puck through Sabres defenders during the NHL preseason game at Pegula Ice Arena on Tuesday, September 19, 2017.
- Eichel, Sabres Beat Penguins In Overtime 4-3 At Pegula Ice ArenaState College News
- Buffalo Sabres top Pittsburgh Penguins in OT thriller at Penn State's Pegula ...The Daily Collegian Online
- Penguins get goals from roster hopefuls, but lose preseason opener to SabresPittsburgh Post-Gazette
- The Wraparound: Sabres 4, Penguins 3 (OT)Buffalo News
- Eichel, Pominville lead Sabres past Pens, 4-3/OTWGRZ-TV
- 5 Observations: Eichel, Sabres top Penguins 4-3 in OTWKBW-TV
- Penguins drop preseason opener to Sabres at Penn StateTribune-Review
- Back to school: Penguins, fans revel in exhibition game at Penn StateTribune-Review
- It's just a start, but Sabres' Pominville has the finish Eichel needsBuffalo News