Leo Komarov chipped the puck up the boards to Marleau, who had a partial breakaway before scoring on a wrist shot past Mike Condon at 11:26 of the first period.
It was his first game back with Buffalo since being acquired in a trade from the Minnesota Wild on June 30; the 34-year-old forward did not play in a 3-2 overtime loss to the Carolina Hurricanes on Monday.
Pominville gave the Sabres a 1-0 lead 7:19 into the game, but Penguins forward prospect Zachary Aston-Reese tied it 1-1 less than a minute into the second period.
The Lightning thought they tied the game late in the third period on a goal by Alexander Volkov, but it was waved off because of goalie interference.
Patrick Marleau scored his first goal for the Toronto Maple Leafs in a 5-2 loss to the Ottawa Senators at Air Canada Centre on Tuesday.
- Seeing the pros hit Pegula Ice Arena a thrill for area fansCentre Daily Times
- Eichel, Sabres Beat Penguins In Overtime 4-3 At Pegula Ice ArenaState College News
- Penguins, Sabres hit the ice at PegulaClearfield Progress
- Buffalo Sabres top Pittsburgh Penguins in OT thriller at Penn State's Pegula ...The Daily Collegian Online
- Penguins get goals from roster hopefuls, but lose preseason opener to SabresPittsburgh Post-Gazette
- The Wraparound: Sabres 4, Penguins 3 (OT)Buffalo News
- It's just a start, but Sabres' Pominville has the finish Eichel needsBuffalo News
- Penguins drop preseason opener to Sabres at Penn StateTribune-Review
- Back to school: Penguins, fans revel in exhibition game at Penn StateTribune-Review