Colin Kaepernick’s protests of the American flag have run throughout the national conversation for more than a year, and now their influence has reached even the youngest levels of football.
All the players on Cahokia Quarterback Club youth football team, located in Belleville, Illinois, a suburb of St. Louis, knelt during the National Anthem prior to a game on Sunday .
The team of eight-year-olds made the move, coach Orlando Gooden said, in response to riots wracking the city in the wake of another not-guilty verdict in which a white police officer was found innocent in a fatal shooting of a black man in a case with several questionable circumstances .
One of the players reportedly asked if the team could kneel the way Kaepernick did, and Gooden replied, “As long as we know why we’re doing it, I don’t have a problem with any of it.” The kids knelt during the Anthem, and one observer captured the scene on video.
On the other hand, this move opens up the kids to all kinds of abuse, and it’s safe to say that an eight-year-old probably doesn’t grasp the full symbolic implications of either the national anthem or a protest of it.
- Eight-year-old football players kneel during national anthem amid St. Louis ...Washington Post
- Youth Football Players Kneel During National AnthemFox News Insider
- 8-year-old football players kneel during national anthem before game in IllinoisWMTV
- Young football players kneel during national anthem in protestWSB Atlanta
- BND readers express strong opinions after 8-year-olds kneel during national anthemBelleville News-Democrat
- Youth Football Team in Ill. Takes a Knee During the National Anthem Before ...The Root
- Football team of eight-year-olds kneels during national anthem to protest ...Daily Mail
- Youth football team stages their own Kaepernick-style protestNew York Post
- Will Brave 8-Year-Old Football Players & Coach Face Backlash For Anthem Protest?News One