Orioles Minor League Pitcher Miguel Elias Gonzalez died from injuries sustained in a car accident in the Dominican Republic on Saturday, the team announced on Monday .
Executive vice president of baseball operations Dan Duquette said in a statement, “Our organization is deeply saddened by the tragic passing of Miguel Gonzalez .
He pitched parts of three seasons in the Dominican Summer League, making 13 starts and 25 relief appearances.
Yordano Ventura and Andy Marte were killed in separate car accidents in the Dominican Republic earlier this year, and Oscar Taveras was killed in a car accident in the D.R.
For instance, back in January, Dave Sheinin of the Washington Post reported that the Nationals had vice president of international players Johnny DiPuglia tell his players at the club’s academy in Boca Chica, D.R., “You drink and drive and there’s a very good chance you’re going to have a grave issue on your hands.” In 2015, the World Health Organization rated the Dominican Republic as the deadliest country in which to drive in the western hemisphere due to lax enforcement of driving laws.
- Orioles minor leaguer Miguel Gonzalez dies in car crashABC News
- Orioles Minor Leaguer Miguel Gonzalez Dies in Car Crash in Dominican RepublicBleacher Report
- Another baseball player has died after a car accident in the Dominican RepublicYahoo Sports
- 21-Year-Old Orioles Prospect Miguel Gonzalez Dies After Car Accident in ...Sports Illustrated
- Orioles minor league pitcher Miguel Gonzalez dead after car accident in ...Baltimore Sun (blog)
- Orioles Minor League Pitcher Killed In Car AccidentWBAL Radio
- Orioles minor-league pitcher dies in car accident in Dominican RepublicFox Baltimore
- Orioles prospect Miguel Gonzalez dead after car accidentFanRag Sports (blog)
- Orioles minor leaguer Gonzalez dies after car accidentWashington Post