On 2 nd -and-6 with less than two minutes left in the first half and Washington up 13-10, quarterback Kirk Cousins delayed his handoff to Thompson before the shifty running back burst past an overly aggressive Rams’ defensive line.
Bursting past multiple Rams in the backfield, Thompson – aided by strong blocks from both guard Brandon Scherff and tight end Jordan Reed – cut into the middle of the field before outracing the entire defense for a 61-yard touchdown.
“Down at the end, Lamarcus Joyner almost caught me and it just reminded me of a situation we had during camp back in college,” Thompson said.
It was part of a big day for the ground game, as Thompson, Rob Kelley and Samaje Perine combined for 229 rushing yards.
Despite a sluggish third quarter from the offense and the Rams continue to fight back, Thompson was happy with how the Redskins remained resilient in the face of adversity.
- Redskins RB Rob Kelley reportedly suffered a fractured rib before leaving game ...CSN Mid-Atlantic (press release) (blog)
- Redskins fear Rob Kelley suffered broken ribSporting News
- Rob Kelley may have fractured ribNBCSports.com
- Injured Kelley goes to locker room in 2nd quarterWashington Times
- Redskins RB Robert Kelley leaves game earlyFanRag Sports (blog)
- Instant Analysis: Redskins finish strong, snag first win of season over the RamsCSN Mid-Atlantic (press release) (blog)
- Morgan Moses the latest Redskins player injured against RamsCSN Mid-Atlantic (press release) (blog)
- Analysis: With dedication, Gruden successfully strays from characterVirginian-Pilot
- Redskins RB Kelley injures rib vs. RamsWFMZ Allentown