Monroe was coming off a September 2016 decision win over Gabriel Rosado on the Canelo Alvarez-Liam Smith undercard in Texas.
The American challenger was struck in the groin and kicked at by Saunders's son at the weigh-in, and later claimed that he was the victim of threats and abuse throughout fight week.
"The Mongoose", 30, has threatened to take action against Saunders by complaining to the BBBoC yet had the perfect opportunity to get revenge on the 28-year-old on the night only to fail to make his mark on the fight.
Saunders failed to shine against Artur Akavov in December of last year and is fighting for relevance in a division dominated by Gennady Golovkin and Saul Alvarez, his last major statement came against Chris Eubank Jnr.
There has been talk of an outing in December as he seeks to further his development under new trainer Dominic Ingle, and the former Olympian should take anything he can get in the festive period as he bids to keep himself relevant enough to net a major contest in 2017.
READ MORE (BoxingScene.com)
- Canelo vs Golovkin LIVE build-up, plus Billy Joe Saunders vs Willie Monroe Jr ...Mirror.co.uk
- Billy Joe Saunders v Willie Monroe Jr: Englishman retains WBO middleweight titleBBC Sport
- Canelo vs GGG LIVE: Latest build-up as Nicola Adams gets pulled, Saunders wins ...Express.co.uk
- Billy Joe Saunders wants Gennady Golovkin fight THIS December - Frank WarrenExpress.co.uk
- Billy Joe Saunders retains WBO world middleweight title with unanimous points ...Mirror.co.uk
- Tyson Fury: I'm Working Hard in The Gym, I Always Come BackBoxingScene.com
- A boxer's son hit his opponent where it hurts, and his dad's reaction was ...Rare.us
- Saunders outpoints Monroe to retainSecondsOut
- Billy Joe Saunders beats Willie Monroe as he aims to fight winner of GGG ...Telegraph.co.uk