Facebook Inc has hired artificial intelligence academic Joelle Pineau to head its new research lab in Montreal, the Silicon Valley social media company said on Friday.
Once the exclusive domain of academic researchers, artificial intelligence has grabbed the attention of the corporate world as businesses from healthcare to financial services look to use algorithms to sort through reams of data in search of patterns to solve problems.
The lab will be Facebook’s fourth, after sites in Palo Alto, New York, and Paris, and joins similar AI research efforts in the city from Microsoft Corp and Alphabet’s Google.
The algorithm divided the human face into 68 ‘facial landmarks’ and monitored each landmark throughout the Skype conversation, detecting very subtle expressions and responses.
That is up from around 150 cited by Google last year, which it called the greatest academic concentration of AI research in the world.
READ MORE (Gears Of Biz)
- Facebook Opens Fourth AI Lab, First in CanadaNews18
- Joëlle Pineau to head new Facebook AI (FAIR) lab in MontrealMcGill Reporter
- Facebook follows Google, Microsoft to Montreal with new AI research labToronto Star
- Facebook opens a new AI research lab in MontrealEngadget
- Facebook launches artificial intelligence lab in MontrealGlobalnews.ca
- Facebook to open artificial intelligence lab in MontrealCanoe
- Facebook Hires AI Expert, Launches Lab in Canada's MontrealU.S. News & World Report
- Facebook Heads to Canada for the Next Big AI BreakthroughMIT Technology Review
- Facebook launches artificial intelligence research lab in MontrealCBC.ca