Rhodes overcame a penalty on pit road that dropped him a lap back to finish sixth, which was just good enough to take the final playoff spot over Ryan Truex on a tiebreaker.
Bell, who drives for Kyle Busch Motorsports and leads the standings by 21 points over Sauter, was awarded a trophy for being the top driver in the regular season.
John Hunter Nemechek, Matt Crafton, Austin Cindric, Kaz Grala and Chase Briscoe also are in the field.
Driving for GMS Racing, Sauter beat Crafton, Bell and Timothy Peters in last season's finale in which the highest-finisher among the four drivers would take the championship.
TOP VIDEOS Clay Matthews on facing Falcons: 'We'll have our hands full' Which Packers injuries are worrisome heading into Atlanta?
- Indians can't make more history, win streak snapped at 22New York Post
- Tiebreaker propels Rhodes into Playoffs, leaves Truex on the outsideNascar
- Johnny Sauter takes Chicagoland Truck win as playoff grid is setMotorsport.com, Edition: Global
- Ryan Truex, Grant Enfinger denied NASCAR Trucks playoff berth at ChicagolandAutoweek
- Johnny Sauter wins in Chicago in final regular-season Camping World Truck ...Nascar
- Johnny Sauter wins at Chicagoland as NASCAR Truck Series Playoff field setAutoweek
- Camping World Truck Series playoff field set; Bell captures regular-season crownNascar
- Defending series champ Sauter wins Truck race at ChicagolandChron.com
- Ryan Truex Narrowly Misses Truck Series PlayoffsFrontstretch.com (blog)