Blown pass coverages and long runs allowed have been part of the troubles so far for a unit that is surrendering nearly 470 yards per game and ranks 112th among FBS schools.
Along comes a meeting today between West Virginia (1-1) and FCS Delaware State (0-2) in which the Mountaineers hope to see better results from a defense that replaced eight starters from a year ago, while linebacker David Long is out for at least the first month with a knee injury.
In West Virginia’s 56-20 win over East Carolina last week, the Pirates got most of their offensive production in the second half, including a 95-yard touchdown pass, after the Mountaineers jumped ahead 49-3 at halftime.
Simms’ challenge Holgorsen wants to see more out of Marcus Simms, who returned from a one-game suspension last week following his arrest on suspicion of drunken driving.
Brothers in uniform The game features three sets of brothers: West Virginia wide receiver Ka’Raun White and safety Kyzir White, and Delaware State has wide receiver Taronn Selby and defensive back Keyjuan Selby, and punter Fidel Romo-Martinez and punter/placekicker Jose Romo-Martinez.
- A day for WVU football fans, team to focus on MountaineersCharleston Gazette-Mail (subscription)
- Will Grier's wife says West Virginia QB was calling plays in his sleepDieHards
- WVU's only challenge may be itselfThe Exponent Telegram (press release) (registration)
- Stay sharp, build depth are West Virginia's priorities in Week 3West Virginia MetroNews
- Weather and info for WVU football game against Delaware StateHail WV
- WATCH: West Virginia releases intense hype video ahead of Week 3 matchup vs ...DieHards
- West Virginia Mountaineers vs Delaware State Hornets: Season 125, Episode 3 ...The Smoking Musket (blog)
- West Virginia Football: Preview, predictions, live stream vs. Delaware StateSaturday Blitz
- Game Preview: WVU Goes for Win No. 2 vs Delaware St.West Virginia Illustrated