He’ll fill in for Thomas Schneider, who announced Friday that he was retiring immediately.
Buffett, 62, who’s served as undersheriff since September 2014, will be carrying a lot more than a gun while on the job.
As a director at his father’s sprawling conglomerate, Berkshire Hathaway Inc. , he controls shares worth more than $200 million, most of which have been pledged to charity.
His father, who turned 87 last month, eventually wants him to become non-executive chairman of Berkshire.
The Herald & Review in Decatur, Illinois, reported the change in sheriff earlier.
- Warren Buffett's son to become interim sheriff in IllinoisWLS-TV
- Schneider confirms retirement, Buffett appointment as sheriffHerald & Review
- Macon County sheriff replacement made officialWAND
- Howard Buffett's New Job: SheriffWall Street Journal (subscription)
- Warren Buffett's son Howard becomes Illinois county sheriffTimes of India