Los Angeles (AFP) - Quarterback Deshaun Watson ran for a touchdown in his first career NFL start on Thursday, leading the Houston Texans to a 13-9 win over the Bengals on his 22nd birthday.
Cincinnati quarterback Andy Dalton was coming off one of the worst performances of his career, having thrown four interceptions in last week's 20-0 loss to the Baltimore Ravens .
Watson earned his first NFL start after passing for 102 yards with a touchdown and an interception after taking over for Tom Savage in the second half of last week's loss to Jacksonville.
Two plays after he was sacked by Geno Atkins in the second quarter Watson scrambled on third-and-15, broke two tackles and raced 49 yards for a touchdown that put the Texans up 10-3.
Rookie receiver John Ross made his NFL debut for Cincinnati, but his first touch ended with a fumble that Houston's Jadeveon Clowney returned 48 yards to the Bengals 20-yard line.
- Deshaun Watson makes one play in first start, and that's enough to winYahoo Sports
- Watson's 49-Yard Touchdown Run Leads Texans To 13-9 WinCBS Houston
- Texans vs. Bengals: Score, results, highlights from Thursday night game in ...Sporting News
- Texans' Watson wins 1st start vs historically bad BengalsKSAT San Antonio
- Texans' Deshaun Watson flashes poise, playmaking prowess in 1st NFL startChron.com
- Three & Out: Takeaways from the Houston Texans' 13-9 Win Over the Cincinnati ...Sports Illustrated
- Takeaways: Texans top Bengals in Watson's first startNFL.com
- Absolute zero frustrates Green and his offenseBengals.com
- Marvin Lewis: Andy Dalton's starting job is secureNFL.com